Pages

Friday, November 22, 2013

Artist of the Week


(Photo Cred. Nancy Lastra)

Nancy Lastra

Vintage... What is vintage?
 Is it the Old Hollywood glamour that sparks your attention? or Could it be the bright red lipstick that makes you want to pucker up and smile? 

Los Angeles native and photographer of Nancy Dolls Photography, Nancy Lastra, gives us her own definition of what vintage means through her array of pin-up photographs that makes you want to travel back in time to the 1920's, 30's, 50's and so on. Through her experiences as a previous pin-up model, she always felt that women should "embrace their curves and love themselves for who they are". With her ambitious talent and her love of the mid-century, she not only captivates the beauty of the old eras but truly brings out the beauty in every woman. 

"Everything I represent is a marriage of the timeless beauty of Vintage". - Nancy Lastra

Model: Miss Bri
Photographer: Nancy Dolls Photography
M.U.A.H: Shirley Garcia

Here's an interview that I did on the lovely, Mrs. Nancy Lastra:

Me: What got you into doing pin-up photography?
Nancy: I love the beauty of it. It was the fashion that got my attention and the effort [that] women put into looking glamorous all the time back in the 1950's. The hair, the makeup, and the wardrobe were always so perfect! I just love the confidence that [it] brings out in a woman when I do pin-up photo-shoots.

Me: Do you find the vintage era to be influential?
Nancy: Yes definitely! It's a very classy look and at the same time sexy. I feel like this look makes you look confident and also bring out your inner beauty. I have family members wearing hair-accessories in their  hair and rocking the red lips now and they look fear-less and I love it! I brought that to the family I love that I influence people to be confident and sexy and to love themselves. 

Me: How do you distinguish yourselves from other artists?
Nancy: To me pin-up is a lifestyle. I love the culture that brings what our beauty icons went through to become our idols. I love the beauty of it! I have a passion for it [and] I want to relive the 1950's in my photography [to] show the beauty of a woman in  the photo. 

Model: Billy Nova
Photographer: Nancy Dolls Photography
M.U.A.H: The Billy nova

Me: Do you think photography help's with accepting one's self image?
Nancy:  I have worked with many women and honestly [at the] end of the day what they tell me is, Thank You for bringing the inner beauty that I never thought I had. Specially women that had kids and they don't feel like they're sexy  [them]selves. I've seen women cry, because they thought they could never be sexy again. That's when I realized I have a talent that can make someone feel beautiful. [It] is a skill I know I am blessed to have. I DO NOT use Photoshop and people get really surprised when I tell them that I will not Photoshop anything. There are women that tell me to fix their stomach, their nose, fix their arms, and I tell [them] okay and when I show them their [edited picture], [they're] in shock when they see the picture and I let them know that all I edited was the colors. No nose or flatten[ing] their stomach. They cry because the person they see in the photo is really them and it's just a wonderful feeling! 

Me: What does vintage mean to you?
Nancy: Vintage represents the high quality of a past time, being the best of its kind.

Me: What is some advice you can give to mujeres or to anyone on accepting themselves?
Nancy: Follow your own heart, create your own style and be your own person. Because we are all unique and beautiful in our own way! People will judge you and put you down but it doesn't matter because there life lessons we only get ONE life let's make the best of it!

Model: Ms. Andrea- Pink Bow Magazine
Photographer: Nancy Dolls Photography
M.U.A.H: Shirley Garcia

You can follow Nancy on her photography page on Facebook at: 

Instagram: nancydollsphotography

Interesting in doing a photo-shoot? Shoot her an email at: nancydollsphotography@gmail.com 

From LA, With Luv
Fati <3

No comments:

Post a Comment