Pages

Thursday, November 14, 2013

Artist of the Week

 
(Photo by: William Pitts)
 
Lesley Perdomo
 
Whether it be sketching out a design for a chalk art festival or just hanging out in good ol' Venice Beach, California, Lesley Perdomo  has evoked many audiences with her giant chalk art pieces and her artistic flair. As a self-taught artist, she was introduced to the world of chalk art in 2005 and since then has found it to be something that she really enjoys and has been a growing passion. I had the chance to interview this amazing artist and learn more about her eclectic world of art.
 
(Photo By: William Pitts)

Me: So not a lot of people know about chalk art, can you define chalk art?
Lesley: Professional chalk artists are called Madonnari and that’s because back in the day when the soldiers came back from the war in Italy, and a way to give thanks they would write some things by their doorstep, something saying thank you Madonna for bringing me home. Lots of the local artist kind of started catching on that and they would draw these beautiful Madonnas with their chalk all throughout the city and that’s how they would make their living off of the tips that people would give them.
 
Me: What introduced you to it?
 Lesley: I got introduced to chalk art back in 2005, with my good friend Julio Jimenez, he was my art buddy at that time. The very first chalk festival we went to was in Mission Viejo and we did every mistake possible. We went completely unprepared... We went with an idea of what we might draw but again we went unprepared totally naive to the whole experience, didn’t even take kneepads, didn’t take sunblock, so the first day [we were] completely discouraged...
 
Totally brainstormed, signed up for the next chalk festival which was in Pasadena and we ended up, winning best 3D piece at that festival, so that’s how I got introduced to chalk art. I was complete novice to it and didn’t know but the more that I’ve been doing chalk, the more the I’ve been learning about its traditions.
 
Me: Out of the pieces you've done which one is your most memorable? 
Lesley: The second chalk piece that my friend and I ever did, I’d say that was one of the most memorable ones, because we really put our heart and soul into it and we won something that was just so great . We felt like we conquered it. It was a 3D piece [of a] girl laying down into a pool area. We finished it like super quick and we busted out some really great tricks and techniques and… More than anything I just remember the feeling of it. It was just a great sense of accomplishment and you can say that was a big turning point. I knew chalk was something that I wanted to do. 

(Photo by: William Pitts)
Me: What are some of the struggles that you have faced as an artist?

Lesley: Oh, there’s lots of different struggles, well I know one is say maybe just making a living off of it. I am horrible at pricing my work. 

Me: I know you mentioned this for your chalk art, but have you displayed any of your art in exhibitions or collaborated with other artists in the area?
 Lesley: Yes, actually, out in Long Beach there’s this really, really cool gallery its called The Liberty. Its this beautiful gallery and we have shows out there. Its just the perfect opportunity to show your work there and so that’s been the most recently art show that I’ve displayed my stuff.
 
Me: If you were in a deserted island and had to bring one thing, what would it be?
Lesley: An endless supply of coffee. If I can have my coffee I can start my day.
 
(Made by: Lesley Perdomo)
Check out more of Lesley's work and see where she will be "chalking it up next" on her website: http://www.lesleyperdomo.com/default.html
 
 
Happy Thursday!
 
From LA, With Luv
Fati <3
 


No comments:

Post a Comment