Pages

Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Artist of the Week:

I know I haven't done one of these in a while, but I'm excited to present to you all this month's Artist of the Week! He's a local and internationally exhibited printmaking artist, a teacher, and an overall awesome dude! 

I present to you all...

I met Josh about two years ago after taking a ceramics class at The Union for Contemporary Art, here in Omaha. I had barely moved to Omaha and was trying to find ways to get more involved in the community and expand my artistic abilities. I found The Union for Contemporary Art online and fell in love with the organization's mission statement and what it stood for which is, "to strengthen and provide a creative space for local artists in the community". Josh had been working on several printmaking projects at the center and had mentioned to me that he taught screen printing 101 workshops for anyone who was interested. Since that time, I've had the chance to attend several of his screen printing 101 classes and have gotten to know him more! Check out our interview below, enjoy!


Fatima: When did you first get into printmaking?
Josh Norton: Originally, I was interested in learning to screen print so I could print posters for a band I was in. This was 1995/96. I started taking it seriously a few years later. 

F: Who or what inspired you?
JN: Music, record cover art, and comics were what made me want to be an artist. From there, it was the late 60's, San Francisco poster artists [like] Victor Moscoso, Rick Griffin, etc. and pop artists like Jasper Johns. In college, I was exposed to German Expressionism, the Vienna Secessionists, whose work I really got into.


F: How old were you when you designed your first print series?
JN: Wow, no idea! Probably early 20's?  

F: What types of materials do you like working with (wood, paper, canvases, etc.)?
JN: I have pretty diverse creative habits. I love working with gouache [and] I love drawing. Of course, I love printing on paper too. I also love to build things.




F: Did you go to school or did you learn on your own?
JN: [I received my] BFA from the University of Wisconsin-Stout in Menomonie, Wisconsin and [an] MFA from the University of Nebraska-Lincoln. 

F: I have seen some of your artwork displayed around town and I gotta say I love the creativity behind each one. Tell me more about your characters. Is there a theme behind each piece?
JN: I think you're referring to my Cryptoserigraphy series, which is a collection of 'evidence' that could be used to prove that monsters are real, but has been rejected by science. Inspired by those fake documentary style 'reality' shows that claim to prove the existence of mermaids, sasquatch, and UFOs, my Cryptoserigraphy work is clearly faked, but exhibited as real. (Complete with scientific exhibition tags).



F: What is the difference between printmaking and screen printing?
JN: Printmaking is an umbrella term that could refer to making woodcuts, linocuts, collagraphs, etchings, screen prints, lithographs, etc. Printmaking could also be used as a distinction between a 'Fine Art' and a screen printed T-shirt. Personally, I think it's best to ignore those distinctions. 

F: Seeing how screen printing has become a popular art medium nowadays, how do you distinguish yourself from other artists? 
JN: A personal style is something that is developed over time and results from making a lot of work. What's imperative is honesty and effortlessness. I don't make work thinking "I've got to make this in-the-style-of Joshua Norton". I just make the work I make. And after many years and a gazillion prints later, my work just looks like my work. 

F: Are there any projects or collaborations that you are working on at the moment?
JN: Always! Nothing I can be too specific about yet.



F: Where can people follow you?
JN: My website, JoshuaNorton.net. I am always posting new stuff on  Instagram, @jnortonprints

F: What are some words of wisdom you can give to those who are interested in becoming successful artists?
JN: Whatever your definition of success is, I think a true artist works hard and enjoys what they're doing.

Thanks Josh for letting me interview you, I appreciate it! If you're in the area and are interested in taking screen printing, photography, or ceramic workshops I highly encourage you to check out the UNION. They have a monthly event calendar with workshop times and dates! Workshops are free for Co-Op members and $10 for non-members! For more information on how you can participate visit their website: http://www.u-ca.org/the-co-op/.

Follow Josh on social media!
Websitehttp://www.joshuanorton.net/
Instagram@jnortonprints
Etsy: https://www.etsy.com/shop/woodcutposters


*Top photo courtesy of The Union for Contemporary Art


Express Yourself!!

From LA, With Luv
Fati <3

No comments:

Post a Comment