Pages

Friday, August 7, 2015

On The Streets: A Walk Through Grand Central Market

Welcome to the City of Angeles

A melting pot of diversity and culture. A metropolis made up of high rise buildings and not so fast-paced speed ways; that look just as glorious through the windows of an airplane as they do in real life.

These past few weeks ago, I had the chance to travel back to my hometown of Santa Monica to visit my family and friends. Throughout my time in Los Angeles, my best friend and I took a mini adventure to Downtown Los Angeles where we visited a place where my family and I used to go to when I was younger called, The Grand Central Market.



Grand Central Market, or "El Centro" as my family and I used to call it is located between South Broadway and West 3rd Street, smack-dab in the heart of Downtown Los Angeles. Opening its doors since 1917, this historical site continues to be a hot spot for fresh produce, deli meats, baked goods, flowers, and more. It's a bazaar of goods and delicatessens. A timeless landmark that preserves the many cultures brought in by Angelenos of years past,creating a place of nostalgia and community engagement. 



Upon entering the marketplace, I could remember the smell of fresh deli meats being cut and seeing the whirlwind of people with black plastic bags walking around, picking and choosing fruits and vegetables from the counter tops. I remember seeing scraps of light colored wood that covered the floor that would get stuck at the sole of our shoes when my siblings and I used to run around when we were bored. 

Upon, entering I felt a change that wouldn't go away. As much as I would try to point and show my best friend how Grand Central Market used to be, it didn't make a difference because everything had changed. There weren't as many fruit and vegetable stands and the overall place has been taken over by gourmet restaurants and food vendors giving it more modern look. I was happy to at least see someone that I knew from my younger days still working there. Although, I don't know if he recognized me, but I recognized him. I felt a certain happiness to see that I could still remember what it used to be like. 



What I love about Grand Central Market is the wide variety of restaurants there are to try. You have your Chinese food, Mediterranean food, Mexican food, the list goes on. There is so much to choose from, but it's worth coming back every time.

There is this one Chinese food restaurant called the China Cafe that has been up and running at the marketplace for a quite a while now. I don't remember how long they have been at the marketplace but I think it's pretty awesome to see them doing their thing.

Can you guess what I chose to eat?


It was pretty delicious!


 Although there have been many changes throughout the years, The Grand Central Market continues to hold a place in my heart. The food, the culture, the history make it an even more authentic experience. If you have never been, I say it's something worth saving your bus money for.




From LA, With Luv
Fati <3

No comments:

Post a Comment