Pages

Sunday, August 2, 2015

Artist of the Week:

I'm excited to present to you all this week's Artist of the Week! From the East coast to the West coast, this cool chick is known for her award-winning illustrations and for starting her own badass Ugly Girl Gang.

 I present to you all...


How old were you when you discovered that you wanted to become an illustrator?
I found out that illustration was a career when I was in high school—I immediately set my sights on MCAD (Minneapolis College of Art and Design) and dropped out of my Pre-Calculus class the same day. Prior to that, I planned on pursuing foreign policy. I had already studied in Russia, was captain of the debate team, and was taking French and German concurrently. Illustration is a total departure. 

What is your creative process like? What are your "go to" art mediums?
I try to mix it up throughout the day so I don’t get too antsy and because of that, my process is pretty piece meal. I’ll sketch something and then maybe days or weeks later, I’ll refine it with a sable brush and ink right there in my sketchbook. I like fancy books with high quality paper for that reason. 


I've been seeing a lot of emerging graphic designers and illustrators nowadays, how do you differentiate your work from the rest?
That’s an interesting question, because although design may not seem like any other profession, it is. There are a million dentists and there will always be other illustrators and designers. You set yourself apart by working your ass off and tapping into your experiences to provide an image or service that is unique. People with shared passions will appreciate your genuine approach and support you accordingly. I can’t imagine trying to doing anything that isn’t “me”—I’m too strong willed to ever do anything else.


"One of my college professors said, 'You may look cute, but you beat the living shit out of that paper!' "


What's a typical day with Tuesday like?
Right now it goes a little something like this:

Wake up around 7:30, get coffee and walk the dogs with my boyfriend, drive to my studio, ship orders for a few hours, answer emails, meet up with a friend for lunch and doodling, run some products to LA stockists, ink some sketches, meet up with my boyfriend for dinner and beers, walk our dogs, go to sleep around 11. 

That said, I travel about half of the time for illustration work, so other routines consist of setting up and tearing down shows or exhibits.

What is the Ugly Girl Gang?
Ugly Girl Gang is whatever you want it to mean, but ultimately, it’s about a badass sisterhood where you reign supreme regardless of background, make cool shit that you’re actually interested in, and don’t give a fuck how you look while you’re doing it. Anyone can join. 

What's the message behind your creations?
My characters act as a catharsis for me. Instead of yelling or punching or crying, I draw. The characters flow out of me like hot emotional lava; One of my college professors said “You may look cute, but you beat the living shit out of that paper!” 

I grew up with extremely strong matriarchal figures and I never considered my limits as a girl or woman, but that’s obviously not the case for many people. I make things that help me take control and hopefully empower other women too


What has been your favorite project thus far?
I like making products because it’s like a love letter between me and people that feel a connection to my work. I am so grateful that there are enough folks that care to keep me busy. 

Any upcoming projects/collabs.?
Lots! I’m most looking forward to my line with Valley Cruise.


Check out more of Tuesday Bassen's art on her website and follow her on Instagram, Twitter, and Big Cartel .

*Photos courtesy of Tuesday Bassen and Google. 


From LA, With Luv
Fati <3

No comments:

Post a Comment