Pages

Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Artist of the Week:


"Gay Zebra"
William Holland
For local artist William Holland, imagination has no boundaries. Like his animal creations his techniques are pretty unique. With only using the mediums of ink, graphite, and watercolor he makes his doodles come to life filled with a whole lot of personality that makes you wonder how he comes up with his characters.

"Every piece has its own inspiration and it comes from all places"- William R. Holland

 "Drunken Panda"
 
"Radio"
 
Featured on many album covers, magazines, and t-shirt designs, I wanted to learn more about William and his artistic world. Check out his interview!
 
Me: How do you describe your style of art?
William: I leave that up to people who like to describe art.
 
Me: Your animal creations are really interesting, is there a certain theme/story behind them?
William: It didn't start that way. On a road trip I drew a bunny with a gun in a sketchbook that I threw in my closet when we got home. Quite a while later, I pulled out the sketchbook and then gun bunny was born. I started creating other animal characters soon after that with the idea of a comic book one day coming to light. The entire script is in my head but to date I still haven't laid ink to paper. One day.
 
 Me: How old were you when you first realized that this is what you wanted to pursue?
William: As a child I wanted to be many things. I was good at art but I never thought of it as a career. I was never one for structure so I failed almost every art class. I was often told that my artwork was weird. Plus we are taught from a young age that artists are starving and not appreciated until after death. It wasn't the most encouraging thing. It wasn't until about six years ago that I decided I should do something with it since I was starving anyway. I struggled with what many artists filled with angst struggle with... How do I not sell out but still make money?
 
I realized that by doing nothing with my talent and passion I was selling out in the grandest way. Now I am an artist but I also found another career I love working with people suffering from spinal cord and tramatic brain injuries. I started around the same time I started the art career and they both give me balance. Art is very personal and all about me. My work at QLI(qliomaha.com) is not about me at all. I have grown from all of this in ways I never imagined.
 
 Me: Any projects you're working on now?
William: I always have something going on. Whether it is commission work or personal. I am a part of Curbside Clothing (Curbsideclothing.com) which has been growing big and fast. They are a great group of artists to call friends and collaborate with. I also enjoy creating logos posters album covers and tattoos. I have my artwork in a few shops around Omaha and Lincoln as well as online @ Williamrobertholland.com Squcky.etsy.com. I sell my originals and have prints of my entire portfolio.
 
If you are interested in collaborating or want to see more of his artwork check out his websites:
 
Etsy!
 
Facebook

 Curbside Clothing
http://www.curbsideclothing.com/
 
Thanks again William for letting me interview you!!
 
From LA, With Luv
Fati <3

No comments:

Post a Comment