Pages

Sunday, December 15, 2013

Don't be a Plain Jane, Accessorize that Ugly Sweater!

The season of festivities is upon us people and it's time to be fashionably prepared. Bring out those old "ugly" sweaters your grandma knit you when you were young, because those are back in style. Believe it or not people are actually wearing these things. Check out this guy!!

=><=

December is not only the month of giving presents and making gingerbread houses, but of looking your best-est in your holiday gear! Don't have an ugly sweater and feeling a bit like Macklemore with only "twenty dollars in my pocket"? Ride on down to your nearest thrift store for some good ol' holiday cheer. 

I bought my ugly sweater at Goodwill for only $3.95, which is reasonable, it's convenient, just remember to wash your item once you get it. If you can't find any at Goodwill try your local stores like Target, Walmart, TJMaxx, your mom's closet for different styles and colors. 

I felt like my sweater wasn't looking very flashy enough, so I decided to accessorize! Here are some of the items I used for my project:

  1. Mini glue gun w/ mini glue sticks
  2. Ornaments 
  3. Stocking cut outs
  4. Sewing kit
  5. Buttons



Step 1: Buying a Sweater
I think buying a sweater is a difficult process because everyone is picky with what they like and if you can't find that specific sweater that you truly imagined, then you're in a pickle. I feel your pain, because I am the same way. Sometimes it just sucks being picky.

Before I started this mini project, I never really knew what an ugly sweater was. I just thought that it was supposed to be a sweater with holes or paint.... I was wrong. 

Definition of Ugly Sweater: "Any sweater with a Christmas theme that is considered in bad taste, tacky, or gaudy". Well know I know! 

On to the next steps.

Step 2: Brainstorm
Once you have your sweater, the first thing you should do when adding on accessories is having a layout. You want to know where you're going to put your accessories and you want to make sure it's in the area you want them to be placed before you start sewing, or gluing, or whatever you are doing. I laid my sweater on a table and placed each of the items in the areas that I wanted to cover.

Step 3: Make Your Mark
Making your mark is easy to do. You can grab a safety pin or a needle and place them where your item is located. This will help you when measuring and to know the area where your item will be put.



Step 4: Off to Work you go!
I started off gluing white cotton balls that I took from a stocking. Next, I sewed the ruffly ornaments. Seeing how I placed these on the shoulders of the sweater, I had to go over them with a needle twice so that it can stay in place. When that was complete, I sewed on bright green buttons to give it a classy yet colorful look. I had two include these two snowmen that I cut out from a stocking. The cool thing about them is they have little pockets! I got really excited when I found this out. I also added things on the back. I sewed on the "let it snow" cut out and sewed it beneath the collar and glued on "snow" which are pieces of cotton.

.

Step 4: Masterpiece
Once you have gone over and made your adjustments, give yourself a pat on the back! You have created a masterpiece. I had a lot of fun putting this together and giving it my own pizzazz.

 I recently wore this to an Ugly Sweater Fashion Show that we had at work and to a Christmas party. 


(Back of sweater)

(Co-worker Seth & I)

I hope you enjoy finding and accessorizing your ugly sweater this Christmas!

May your days be merry & bright.

From LA, With Luv
Fati <3



No comments:

Post a Comment