Pages

Wednesday, December 28, 2016

My Experience with AncestryDNA


I've been interested in learning more about my culture and my family history lately that I ordered an AncestryDNA test kit from Ancestry.com. One of the reasons why I wanted to try it out was because I wanted to learn more about my ethnic background. I probably haven't shared this with you all where my family is from but my mom is from El Salvador and my dad is from Burma. I thought it would be cool experience to see where else my family members originated from and get to know their story. 

Before buying the kit, I had to do some research since there are a variety of DNA test kits out there that you can buy. I thought this article gave a pretty good breakdown of the differences, http://read.bi/2g7YTOC.

Below are some of the items that the DNA test kit came with: 


When I opened my package I found a brochure that showed me step by step instructions on how to activate my kit and where to send my sample. I thought it was really easy and self-explanatory.



Once I activated my DNA kit on the AncestryDNA website and entered my 15 number code, I was ready! One of the things I noticed about these DNA testing kits is that some require you to use a cotton swab to collect a DNA sample from your cheek but this one came with a tube where it collects your saliva sample. I'm not gonna lie, it felt weird spitting in this contraption but after a while it wasn't so bad.




Once my saliva sample was collected, I then placed the tube inside the collection bag and into the prepaid mailing box and off it went! Now the waiting game begins.... I will share with you all what my results are in 6-8 weeks, so stay tuned!



Have you ever tried an AncestryDNA test before? What was your experience like? Share with me on the comment box below!


Until next time,
Fati <3

No comments:

Post a Comment