Pages

Thursday, August 4, 2016

Artist Feature:

I am excited to present to you this month's Artist Feature!  She is a local artist and designer based in Los Angeles, CA and is inspired by space, feminism, and other cool things! 

I present to you all....


I found out about Robin through Instagram. I had been browsing through my Instagram feed when I found a picture of one of her alien characters. I was so amazed by the bright colors that I clicked onto her Instagram profile to see what other cool things she had. All I could think of was, "Woah! That's pretty cool!"  Check out my interview with Robin below! Enjoy!


Fatima Alliyani: How long have you been drawing/designing for?
Robin Eisenberg: Since I can remember. I've been drawing (mainly elves and dragons as a kid...) but I started drawing full-time a few years ago.


FA: Did you always want to be an artist? Who or what impacted you?
RE: I definitely always wanted to find a way to work and be creative at the same time. I went through different points where I was trying to make music, or be a writer, but drawing was always a constant. I guess in the end I just gave in and was like "OK I'LL TRY BEING AN ARTIST EVEN THOUGH I'M REALLY KINDA SCARED" and it ended up working out the best out of all the things I tried.



FA: Did you go to school for design or was it more self-taught?
RE: Definitely more self-taught! My mom had a degree in art and I grew up in a really creative environment which was amazing. I've been drawing for as long as I can remember. I was obsessed with fantasy novels growing up. I loved the illustrated covers! So I would draw a lot of dragons and elves and other weird, magical things all the time. I did start a minor in art while I was in college, but ended up majoring in English. Then spent most of my time drawing instead of studying. Haha.

FA: So I was browsing through your website and I was really brought in by all the bright colors and just the overall uniqueness of your characters. Tell me more about them!
RE: Thank you so much! I've always been obsessed with people-watching and also with space and aliens. I think my drawings just combine all the things I love [like] space, people, weird colors, sex, food, music, dogs, cities, and beaches, etc.






FA: What are some thing(s) you found difficult in the "create an design" process?
RE: Sometimes it can be frustrating when you find yourself feeling restless with your own work and wanting to re-invent yourself. It's way more fun to always be excited by your own work so when you hit a point where you're starting to get bored of your own stuff, you know it's time for a change of some kind. 

FA: I know LA brings out a mix of different artists and creates this giant arts culture, how do you distinguish yourself from other artists?
RE: I don't really think too much about trying to distinguish myself, to be honest. I just try my best to do whatever makes me feel excited and original. I always feel like if I'm thinking too much about other people's work and where I fit in, it's just distracting me from the more important (and more fun) aspect of being an artist.

FA: When you're not drawing, what are you usually doing?
RE: Driving around California, searching for the best boba in LA, reading in bed, or petting a dog somewhere.



FA: Are there any projects/collaborations that you are currently working on?
RE: I'm working on a super fun project with @fatjunkieshop! I don't wanna give it away but I'm really excited. I'm also starting to look into making clothes so we'll see how that goes! Exciting (and also scary again haha).

FA: Random Question- If one of your friends were to look inside your bag, what would they most likely find?
RE: A boba straw,. Gum wrappers, Business cards. 

FA: Lastly, are there any word of wisdom you want to share for those who are interested in pursuing design or art?
RE: Try to me motivated by the success of others instead of wasting time being jealous or spiteful. Focus on yourself and building up your own radness instead of dwelling on what you don't have or what you're not doing.



Check out more of Robin's pins, patches, and designs on her website and don't forget follow her on social media for upcoming collaborations and some rad apparel!



A quick shout out to Robin, thanks for letting me feature you on my blog and allowing me to use some of your photos! Much appreciated.



Until next time,
Fati <3



*Photos courtesy of Robin Eisenber and Google

No comments:

Post a Comment