Pages

Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Artist of the Week:


Photographer: Pierre Kenal Louis

Crystal Ellis

The journey of self discovery is a journey that keeps us moving. It tests our skills and talents and helps us discover what we're truly passionate about. For emerging stylist and fashion designer, Crystal Ellis; her journey began when she was six years old. From drawing and sketching designs to learning to use the sewing machine these talents have guided her to where she is today.

I had the chance to interview Crystal and get to know more about her. Read about it below!

Photographer: Crystal Ellis

Me: How long have you been designing clothes?
Crystal: Professionally 4 years...I have always had a desire to alter, embellish, or deconstruct clothing.

Me: Were you always into fashion? What made you pursue it?
Crystal: Yes! Growing up in the 80's I'm prone to my Madonna, MJ, & Janet styles, people who were unapologetic for being who they were through fashion. I remember my first favorite shirt that I wore and for always being the one who stood out for what I was wearing. Sad part is I did not want the negative or positive attention from what I wore. I liked what it was, so I wore it. It expresses who you are at the moment. 

Photographer: Crystal Ellis

Me: Can you tell me about your fashion line, Cristallo Couture?
Crystal: I wanted to create a cut and sew line that had no limits. People in general or in the industry and arts always say to find your "niche", style, or target market. Though I tried and attempted and took a look at what style I wanted to create, I simply could not choose. I felt it would be leaving a part of me behind. 

I've never wanted to stick to any "one style". I feel like the women we loved in the past and today have many layers...many faucets of who they are and how they want to project in their fashion. Like a crystal that has many sides of depth, any piece can make up who we are, hence Cristallo Couture

Me: How would you describe your style?
Crystal: Well that is the toughest question, isn't it? I've never wanted to be put into a box or specifically designed. If I had to pick style categories which would be hard to do, I would say Harajuku, avant-garde, vintage, classic, steam punk skater...

Yes, my styles can be all over the place like that, why not?

"Some would say a brand... I say break the mould".
Photographer: Randy Edwards

*Photo Credit: Crystal Ellis, Pierre Kenal Louis, & Randy Edwards Photography

Follow this Omaha artist and see what's new in her world of fashion

From LA, With Luv
Fati <3

No comments:

Post a Comment