Pages

Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Artist of the Week: Christina Angelina

Christina Angelina

For local street artisan, Christina Angelina, size is no obstacle when creating an art piece. Whether she is painting a small canvas at an art event or giving a new face to an old building, she is not afraid to go big and bold!

Originally from Venice, California, Christina Angelina (also known as StarFighter) is known for her massive visuals that conceptualize her life experiences, spirituality, and creativity into one giant piece. She is also known for her wheat-paste drawings on city walls. As her passion for art has grown through the years it continues to amaze us, making us wonder what she will come up with next!



Here's an exclusive interview with the one and only Christina Angelina:

Me: Who or what got you into street art/painting? How long have you been doing it?
Christina: I've been into it since I was a teenager. I started noticing work on walls in New York. I started wheat pasting, intricately cutting drawings onto city walls & it grew from there. 

Me: Is there a certain meaning/message/theme behind your characters?
Christina: Strength, hope, soul, infinite. Life is so short and as humans we have these experiences and connections that are so special. I focus on the love that I have been fortunate enough to experience in this life and connect to the beauty of those experiences when I create my paintings. 

Me: How long does it take to complete a piece?
Christina: It takes about 1 day to 2 weeks depending on the piece. It's hard work; long days with little rest.



Me: From the places that you have traveled and painted, what has been the most memorable?
Christina: That's a difficult questions to answer...I have loved each one. I think Palm Springs and the Salton Sea have been my favorites, both because the people were so incredibly generous & grateful and because the places themselves created such unique experiences. 

I love the desert & warm weather. The Salton Sea is such a special/odd/unique place. From the bones of dead fish littered from shore to shore, to the smell of sulfur/salt in the air, to the desolate/abandoned/beautiful aesthetic of the place.The people who own and operate 86 Meat & Liquor (the building Fin & I painted on) were amazing and so kind.  



Palm Springs was also an incredible experience because Donovan & Molly (the owners of Bar) were also incredibly generous & have become amazing friends.  The controversy that surrounded that mural was so interesting.  [Since] Palm Springs is such a small town, there [was] people that loved it & people who wanted it removed. So far, it has been allowed to stay...



Me: What are some of the struggles that you have faced as an artist? Do you still face them today?
Christina: There have been many, but I have also been extremely fortunate in many ways.  It's a lonely profession where I have had to rely on my belief; in myself and my ideas to propel my work.  It's not a "safe & secure" choice, or at least that's what I've been told.  It's also male dominated, so it has required perseverance, focus, & self love.  I have also had to fight for my rights in many situations to be treated properly. Some people are great, but there are others out there that think they can take advantage of artists.  I am also sober & vegan so that my mind & body can be as clear as possible. 

Me: What inspires you to continue doing what you are doing?
ChristinaI love what I do.  I love everything about it. The experience of doing what I'm doing is exactly what keeps me inspired.  Meeting people at the walls that I'm painting, hearing their stories, seeing that, what I love is inspiring them.

Me: Where can people find your art work? & Have you collaborated with other artists? 
ChristinaYou can find my work in cities all over North & South America and a few places in Europe.  My Instagram & Facebook are the easiest ways to access my work.  I have collaborated with several other artists, most recently my friend Fin Dac, also Gianni Arone, Hans Walor, John Park & many others.



Big T H A N K S  to Christina Angelina for this awesome interview! If you are in Downtown Las Vegas, Palm Springs, or if you went to Coachella 2014 don't forget to check out Christina Angelina's latest murals!

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/angelina.christina
Instagram: http://instagram.com/starfightera
Website: http://www.christinaangelina.com

*photos courtesy of Christina Angelina

I hope everyone is inspired as much as I am!

From LA, With Luv
Fati <3

No comments:

Post a Comment