Pages

Sunday, November 15, 2015

Stylish Sundays


It's Stylish Sundays and I wanted to share with you all this awesome, Von Dutch pinstripe Twill jacket that I had bought at a vintage shop a few months ago! It was definitely a great find because I don't think they make 'Von Dutch' items anymore. If you've never heard of Von Dutch, here's a quick history lesson for ya!

During the mid-fifties, Kenny Howard, a motorcycle mechanic found a way to use pinstriping, a form of freehand painting of fine lines in a symmetrical motif; as a way to customize hot rods and motorcycles. He used this type of art style as a form of expression and as a way to popularize and create a certain type of look and lifestyle called Kustom Kulture. 

"These 'pinstripes' were a distinctive feature of 1950's bodywork in the USA, and over time have become a traditional ingredient of Kustom Kulture."

Kustom Kulture is a movement that spread throughout the US and brought together the whole culture of hot rodding, rockabilly music, customized automobiles and pin ups. It reflected a certain type of style that Kenny Howard reflected through his artistry. Overtime, he had become a successful pinstriper, customizing and painting all kinds of vehicles that he gave himself the name "Von Dutch", which means "stubborn as a Dutchman." Pretty cool huh?

I remember when I was in middle school, people in school started wearing Von Dutch items like the trucker hats with his signature flying eye ball logo as well as t-shirts and leather wallets. There was also a Von Dutch store at the mall which was pretty neat...

Anyways, back to the jacket! I love the unique way the pinstripe look throughout the jacket and the way it is finely embroidered front and back. The twill material is sturdy and easy to wear.Also, the combination of red, white, and blue go really well together. It's these little details that make it look even more authentic. Although this is originally a men's jacket, it was a perfect fit. I thought it would be pretty fun to style it up and see how I could wear it!


For my outfit: I went with a simple, black, band shirt, a pair of blue Dickie jeans and of course my favorite pair of shoes, Chuck Taylors. I think the jacket made a statement for itself so I didn't wanna over-do it with the outfit. Plus, I felt kinda like a greaser girl with my hair up in a pompadour and my jeans cuffed at the bottom. Grease Lightening!!!





Who knew wearing a vintage Von Dutch jacket would be so much fun and bring back many memories! What's your favorite vintage piece you've found!?

*Facts courtesy of http://www.vondutch.fr/en/





Until next time!

From LA, With Luv
Fati <3



No comments:

Post a Comment